In this article I have provided a list of items you can do to cut energy bills this winter. Just think of this as a checklist that you can go through one by one. Some of the items listed are very simple and inexpensive to do, but will still save you some money, others, are far more elaborate and will save you a lot of money.
1. Have a professional HVAC inspection done on your furnace. Your furnace is just like your car in that if it isn’t tuned up properly it will work harder to run and will burn more fuel.
Replacing your filters monthly is one inexpensive way to help your furnace run more efficiently.
2. Inspect your fireplace. Make sure there are no obstructions in your chimney. Have it cleaned by a professional if you use it a lot, at least once a week.
Install a wire cap on the top of the chimney to prevent birds from building nests in it.
3. Add insulation to your attic. This is the place where a lot of energy gets wasted. As you know, hot air rises. If your attic isn’t properly insulated all the air you’ve paid to heat will just rise up and out of your house.
4. Either replace leaky doors and windows are at least add some caulk and/or an insulated window kit to prevent heat loss.
5. Install insulated curtains that you can close at night to keep heat from escaping. Make sure to keep them open during the daytime so the heat from the sun can help heat your house.
6. Consider generating your own electricity by building a wind turbine for your home. This easy 1 day project will only cost about $200 but can save up to 80% on your electricity costs.
Use this checklist and do one, or more, of these projects before winter hits. That way you can cut energy bills this season which will give you more money to do other things…like go somewhere warm!
- Free Wind Energy Savings-Saving Your Money And The Planet At The Same Time
- Should You Build A Wind Turbine For Your Home?
- Wind Power Will Cut Energy Bills Year Round Plus 5 Other Easy Steps
- Wind Energy And Your Electronic Devices Can Save You Money
- Cut Energy Bills - Do A Home Energy Audit And Harvest Wind Energy
- Use Wind Power To Go Green, And Save Green
- How Much Will It Cost You To Build Your Own Wind Turbine?
- Should I Install A Wind Turbine At Home?
- How You Can Slash Your Electric Bill With Wind Power And Common Sense