If you are concerned about how you are going to pay your ever increasing energy bills this winter, don’t worry, there is hope. Even if you can’t afford all new windows, doors, and furnace, there are still some easy, and cheap things you can do right now to cut energy bills this winter.
Here are a few:
1. One of the biggest bangs for your buck is to make sure your furnace is running efficiently. To make sure of that hire a HVAC professional to come in and inspect it. You can also make sure to replace furnace filters once a month throughout the heating season.
2. Seal up all windows and doors. It doesn’t matter if you use caulk, insulated curtains, and/or a window kit, just make sure to stop your heated air from getting outside.
3. Wrap your water heater. An insulated blanket made just for that purpose will help keep the water in your hot water heater warmer longer. Which means you won’t have to pay to have your unit run over and over again to re-heat the same water.
4. Add a programmable thermostat. That way you can keep your home at the right temperature when you’re there and awake and save money by lowering the temperature when you’re not there.
5. Add insulation to your attic. You can do it yourself for only the cost of the insulation, or hire someone to do it for you. Either way this is one of the best ways to keep your house from leaking warm air and wasting you money.
6. Now this step is not quite as simple as the other 5 steps. However, it can darn well cut your energy cost up to as much as 60%. Of course I’m talking about using wind power from a home wind powered generator.
Instead of worrying about high energy costs this winter, take control and cut energy bills now. Use one, or all, of these simple energy saving tips and you will not only be able to afford to heat your home, you will also have a much more comfortable, less drafty home to enjoy all year long.