It may sound overly simplistic but one of the best things you can do to cut energy bills is simply to look around your home. Take a pad of paper and a pen and go all around your home to look for ‘weak spots’ in your energy efficiency.
This is basically all an energy audit is. Yes, you could hire someone to do it for you, but if you want the same results without having to pay someone, you can do most of it yourself.
A lot of problem spots in your home will be easy to spot. Grab a flashlight and your pen and paper and lets go:
1. The first place to start is in your attic. Look around to see how much insulation you have. If you need more, add more.
2. Next take a close look at your foundation. Are there big gaps? One of the most common places to lose energy, ironically, is where your utilities such as cable, water, electric, and phone lines come into your home. Make sure the area around these openings is well sealed with caulk.
3. Go from room to room and make note of any light fixtures that don’t have CFL light bulbs. These bulbs don’t use as much electricity and they last longer.
4. As you go from room to room take note of any electronic items you have in those rooms that aren’t used on a daily basis. Even if the item is turned off it is still drawing power as long as it’s plugged in.
5. And last but not least, consider adding a wind turbine so you can generate your own electricity. You can make a turbine for around $200. It’s easy to make but the savings will be significant.
I hope this list has jump started other ideas on how to cut energy bills, there are many things you can do.
- Free Wind Energy Savings-Saving Your Money And The Planet At The Same Time
- Should You Build A Wind Turbine For Your Home?
- Wind Power Will Cut Energy Bills Year Round Plus 5 Other Easy Steps
- Wind Energy And Your Electronic Devices Can Save You Money
- Cut Energy Bills - Do A Home Energy Audit And Harvest Wind Energy
- Use Wind Power To Go Green, And Save Green
- How Much Will It Cost You To Build Your Own Wind Turbine?
- Should I Install A Wind Turbine At Home?
- How You Can Slash Your Electric Bill With Wind Power And Common Sense